B.H.M.S. (Bachelor in Homoeopathy Medicine & Surgery) is an undergraduate degree programme in the emerging holistic, alternative medicine field of Homoeopathy. Homoeopathy, founded by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann in 1796 in Germany, is currently the third most most popular medication system in India. According to this system the emotions, mind and body are interlinked and remedies which effect on them will seem to fit for the patient. The person got sick or have a disorder if he is out of the harmony of the above three. Homoeopathic medications have no side effects on the human body.
Homoeopathy Degree Course in Homoeopathic Medical College
The degree course of B.H.M.S. in H.M.C. comprises comprise a course of study spread over a period of 5 ½ yrs., including compulsory internship of one year duration after passing the final degree examination. On successful completion of the internship and on recommendation of the Principal of the Homoeopathic College concerned, the concerned university shall issue the degree to such candidate. The B.H.M.S. degree is recognized by the Central Council of Homoeopathy, New Delhi.
The subjects in the B.H.M.S. degree course in Homoeopathic Medical College include:
- Physiology including Biochemistry
- Organon of Medicine, Principles of Homeopathic Philosophy & Psychology
- Homeopathic Pharmacy
- Homeopathic Materia Medica & Therapeutics
- Pathology & Microbiology
- Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
- Practice of Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Community Medicine
- Case taking and Repertory
There are also a variety of extra-curricular activities held in HMC, such as:
- Quiz competitions
- Meditation camps
- Sports competitions
- Cultural programmes
- Educational tours
- Project work on different subjects
Scope / Career in Homoeopathy
- BHMS degree is similar to other medical degrees such as MBBS, BAMS, etc. The students pursuing BHMS course can join the government services and AMC all over India and/or can run their own homoeopathic hospitals or clinics.
- One can avail opportunity to join post graduate course in Homoeopathy (M.D. in Homoeopathy) after completion of BHMS degree course.
- Having completed BHMS course, one can apply for Post-Graduation in various streams, such as hospital administration, PG-microbiology, Anatomy, bio-tech, etc.
- There are 198 undergraduate and 38 Homoeopathic post-graduate instituitions in India. One can always get a job in such instituitions after BHMS.
- There are many health centers under the health and family welfare department of the government and one can be employed as M.O.
- Homoeopathic doctors are also eligible to get a physician’s job in various sectors, such as L.I.C., Indian airlines, Railway army, ESI dispensaries, etc. as a panel doctor.
- One can employ himself/herself in any homoeopathic medicine manufacturing company or can establish such a pharmaceutical company.
- Various state governments have decided to start homoeopathic dispensaries in all civil hospitals.
- Department of Ayush under Ministry of Health & Family Welfare has also started various research projects in homoeopathy and have been opening homoeopathic dispensaries all over India under NRHM (Govt. of India) scheme.